You’ll never look at a banana the same way again after discovering the many health benefits and reasons to add them to your diet. Bananas combat depression, make you smarter, cure hangovers, relieve morning sickness, protect against kidney cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and blindness. They can cure the itch of a mosquito bite and put a great shine on your shoes.
If you think bananas are just for monkeys, think again.
1. Bananas help overcome depression due to its high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin — the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter
2. Eat two bananas before a strenuous workout to pack an energy punch and sustain your blood sugar
3. Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and night time leg cramps by eating a banana
4. Counteract calcium loss during urination and build strong bones by supplementing with a banana
5. Improve your mood and reduce PMS symptoms by eating a banana, which regulates blood sugar and produces stress-relieving relaxation
6. Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of white blood cells, all due to high levels of vitamin B-6
7. Strengthen your blood and relieve anemia with the added iron from bananas
8. High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure, and protect against heart attack and stroke
9. Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and heavy metals from the body
10. Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.
11. Constipated? High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.
12. Got the runs? Bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help restore lost electrolytes after diarrhea.
13. Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn and GERD
14. Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids
Natural cures from a simple banana
16. Bananas make you smarter and help with learning by making you more alert. Eat a banana before an exam to benefit from the high levels of potassium.
17. Bananas are high in antioxidants, providing free radicals and protection
from chronic disease
18. Eating a banana between meals helps stabilize blood sugar and reduce nausea from morning sickness
19. Control blood sugar and avoid binging between meals by eating a banana
20. Eating a banana can lower the body temperature and cool you during a fever or on a hot day
21. The natural mood-enhancer tryptophan, helps to relieve Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
22. Quitting smoking? Bananas contain high levels of B-vitamins as well as potassium and magnesium which speed recovery from the effects of withdrawal
Oh, and remember — bananas make great snacks and delicious smoothies.
Now you know why monkeys are so happy. Eat a banana!